Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Vegetable Frittata

Frittatas should be called "easy omelettes". The challenge for me is the need to time when to add veggies and cheese to an omelette and when to fold it. I usually don't have good timing and it cracks when I fold it over and the veggies end up falling out. Frittatas are the way to go and like an omelette, you can add whatever you have on hand. You can easily leave out the cheese if you want to make it a more low calorie dish. I like to add some parmesan cheese to my serving while it's still hot. I found this recipe in my All You magazine. I've reduced the amount of salt and occasionally use feta cheese.

Vegetable Frittata 
8 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2-3 cups spinach, chopped
4 oz. feta cheese (optional)
1/2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese per slice (optional) 

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Warm oil in a 10" ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened then remove from pan and set aside to sauté more veggies.
Place zucchini in pan and brown then remove and set aside.
Stir in spinach and peppers. Sauté until spinach is wilted and peppers are softened.
Distribute all veggies evenly in skillet and pour in egg mixture. If using feta, crumble on top. Cook without stirring until eggs are just beginning to set around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Place skillet in oven. Bake frittata until set in center, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let frittata rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Dinner's ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Ever Puppy Chow

This really is the Best Ever Puppy Chow Recipe! I've sampled a lot of different puppy chow recipes and this is the only one I can&#...