Wednesday, March 9, 2011

turkey monte cristos



I'm not sure what magazine I cut this out of or what made me do it at the time but I'm so glad I did! Everyone loves these sandwiches and are happy to hear this as the answer to the question - "what's for dinner?" Think of them as Deluxe Grilled Cheese sandwiches.



turkey monte cristos
8 slices sourdough sandwich bread
8 teaspoons honey Dijon mustard
1/2 pound sliced smoked turkey
1/3 pound sliced Muenster cheese
12 leaves of arugula or basil
3 eggs
1 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter

Place bread slices on a work surface and spread each with 2 teaspoons of the mustard (I'm more generous with the mustard.) Equally divide the turkey and cheese over each bread slice. I use oven roasted or honey roasted turkey. Other cheese will work as well. I sometimes use Colby-jack cheese. Top each with 3 pieces of arugula and the remaining bread slices. I also use whatever lettuce I have on hand, usually green leaf lettuce.
In a shallow dish, beat eggs, milk, cayenne and nutmeg.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter; when foamy, dip sandwiches in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
Remove sandwiches from skillet; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium; repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.
I have a large griddle and am able to cook them all at once. I don't usually use the butter. I just spray the griddle. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Ever Puppy Chow

This really is the Best Ever Puppy Chow Recipe! I've sampled a lot of different puppy chow recipes and this is the only one I can&#...